Thursday, August 22, 2013

Downtown

On Wednesday we made a trip to Downtown LA to have some of our adoption paperwork apostilled. (Never heard of an apostille? Neither had I before we started researching the adoption process. Essentially, an apostille is a form of authentication that is done to a notarized document before it is sent overseas.) Almost every piece of paper we will send to the country we are adopting from has to be apostilled. Some states charge $5 per document. Some states even have a cap on the amount they will charge you. But not our wonderful home state! Lovely California charges $20-$26 per document with no cap.

EJ and I were happy to have Bethany join us for the trip downtown. Bethany and her husband are friends we met through our small group at church. Coincidentally, they are also in the middle of an international adoption. You can check their blog out here.


Here we are in front of the state building. Sadly, the smiles you see above are a bit misleading. We left empty handed as our paperwork was refused. Thankfully, we've figured out the problem now and it shouldn't be difficult to fix.

One highlight of the day was Justin unexpectedly joining us for lunch. Thanks again, Bethany, for being such a delightful partner in adventure!

2 comments:

  1. I would love to help you fundraise for your adoption!

    I have been following many families' adoption blogs ever since I spent a semester volunteering in an orphanage for special needs children in Chile.

    I just launched my etsy store! 50% of the sale prices go to families adopting through RR! All someone has to do is enter your families name/blog/sponsorship page or child information on the message at check out and I will be donating the money to each family each month! I can either do it to RR accounts or am willing to send the checks to the families since I know that money isn't available until travel. I have been open just 5 days and one family has already earned 30 dollars for their adoption! I know EVERY dollar counts!!!
    Spread the message to anyone in the adoption community that could use a little help with funds!!
    My blog is:
    gingeronamission1206.blogspot.com/
    My store is at:
    www.etsy.com/shop/GINGERONAMISSION
    Facebook Page:
    https://www.facebook.com/Gingeronamission1206
    Any people who purchase from me that don't specify will just be donated to a family I feel called to give to!

    I also posted a guest post for the family adopting Channah- check it out!
    http://mondaymorningchristians.blogspot.com/2013/08/guest-blogger-channahs-guardian-angel.html
    Thanks!
    Susan Sass

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a bummer, Melanie! I used to take trips into LA to get documents apostilled on behalf of families when I worked for an adoption agency in California. It was a nightmare sometimes. So sorry! We will be praying everything goes through next time.

    ReplyDelete